turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 Turbotax preparation

Hello, I used the 2019 TurboTax software to prepare the 2019 return in early 2020 and it was processed in July 2020.  Subsequently I had to file an amended return for 2019 with added income which changed the federak and state taxes.  I used the TurboTax software to prepare the amended return, and mailed it as a paper return in January 2021.  I am not sure whether the amended return has been processed yet.  Now I am starting to prepare the 2020 return.  Do I use the amended return Turbotax file as the previous return import, or the original file?  Or does it make any difference as long as I check to make sure the data transferred from the 2019 file, such as the revised Fed tax paid and state tax paid are the corrected amounts?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Use the amended 2019 information or .tax file especially if you have carryover items from 2019 that affect your 2020 income tax return.

You can check the status of your Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return using the Where's My Amended Return? online tool or by calling the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Use the amended 2019 information or .tax file especially if you have carryover items from 2019 that affect your 2020 income tax return.

You can check the status of your Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return using the Where's My Amended Return? online tool or by calling the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

for AJ and Elizabeth Valentino prepare 2020 taxes 

your system is terrible

i prepared the tax return for 3 clients last year a nd cannot get in to prepare 2020

forget about amended

i want to do 2020 tax return for [PII removed]

i did 2019

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

If you mean that you are unable to access your TurboTax account in order to file a 2020 tax return, please visit the TurboTax Help article below. If you mean something else, please leave a comment for further assistance.

Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies