turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lynnenittler
Returning Member

2019 tax data did not transfer to 2020 premier

Help.  How do I get my 2019 info to transfer?  I can't see my 2019 tax form anymore.  It may be wiped out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@ lynnenittler  wrote:

Help. 2019 tax data did not transfer to 2020 premier

How do I get my 2019 info to transfer?  I can't see my 2019 tax form anymore.  It may be wiped out?

I don't know if you are referring to Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download).

This answer will assume you mean Online TurboTax, but it's not clear at all.

If you are using 2020 desktop software, and used 2019 desktop software last year, then you need to explain more.

If you are referring to Online TurboTax:

Did you prepare your 2019 return in Online TurboTax last year?  And for your 2020 return, are you in the same online account as the 2019 return?   Here's how to tell:

Log in to the account in which you are using Online Premier, and at the Tax Home scroll way down to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Expand that section and choose tax year 2019.   If you efiled successfully from that account last year, that section for 2019 will say "accepted".

You can also view the 2019 PDF.  Is your finished return as filed for 2019 in that account? 

If there's no evidence of the 2019 return in that account, then you may have multiple accounts, that we can tell you how to troubleshoot.

wlrhodes

The desk top on which I did 2019 died, but hard drive converted to usb exterior attached to current pc. Download was to current drive C:\, 2019 files on drive I:\. TurboTax Premier does not recognize prior year. 

@ wlrhodes wrote:

The desk top on which I did 2019 died, but hard drive converted to usb exterior attached to current pc. Download was to current drive C:\, 2019 files on drive I:\. TurboTax Premier does not recognize prior year. 

Let me be sure I understand everything.

I assume you installed your 2020 TurboTax on your main system drive C: and activated it.  I also assume you are using Windows, since you said "PC."   And I'll assume you have the *.tax2019 data file on your old drive (now an external USB drive.)

I would copy the *.tax2019 data file from the old drive and put it on the current main drive.  The default location in Windows is in the \Documents\TurboTax folder.

Then launch 2020 TurboTax and choose to start a new tax return.  It will churn a bit and may find the *.tax2019 data file in that new location.   If it does, it will ask you if you want to transfer it into 2020.   If it doesn't find it, you can use the "Browse" button to point TurboTax to it's location in the \Documents\TurboTax folder.

Also here's a tip that may or may not apply to you.  If it doesn't apply, just ignore it.

But I'll mention it just in case you prepare both a personal tax return and a business tax return (S-corp, C-corp, partnership, etc.).  Last year, if you by any chance also used the dedicated Business Edition for a business return, then it also has a data file ending in *.tax2019, which can be confusing since the 2019 personal tax product also uses that same file extension.  So when the 2020 Premier prompts you to transfer the 2019 data file, you have be sure which 2019 data file goes with which product (the Business Edition or a personal tax product.)   i.e., be sure it's not trying to transfer the Business Edition data file into 2020 Premier, which would cause an error message.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies