Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R: I moved to another state but forgot to update my address, so I received the form with the old state information on it

Hello,

I lived in Massachusetts until May 2020, then I moved to Arizona, and obviously left my job in MA so I received the 1099-R total distribution form to my old address in MA which was forwarded to my new address in Arizona. 

Question is, do I just enter it as is showing MA info in Boxes 14-16? Or should I contact Vanguard to get my address updated and get a new updated 1099-R form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

1099-R: I moved to another state but forgot to update my address, so I received the form with the old state information on it

If the 1099-R was from a retirement account at a job that you had in Massachusetts, then the entire amount would be Massachusetts income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you had Massachusetts withholding, you will want to enter so that you have the correct Mass taxes.  Regardless, you should update the address with Vanguard but you will not get a corrected form for 2020.  You can allocate the income to each state so the correct amount is reported.  

Thank you for the reply, but how do I "allocate"? Do I just split the amount in half? How about tax, how do I know how much I put for each state? 

were you getting monthly or quarterly distributions?

the allocation depends on where you were on those dates.

Did you get a lump sum? it all happened at once and all in one state or the other.

No. So this 1099-R is a total distribution, meaning that after I left my job, Vanguard paid me at a 10% penalty since I did not roll that money anywhere. So I just got one check of the full amount invested minus the 10%. 

Does that make sense?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Where did you receive the distribution?  Were you still living in MA or were you living in AZ?  This will determine were you report the income from the distribution. 

You will need to prepare a part-year return for MA for your income earned through May and then a part-year AZ return for the income earned from June through December.  If you were a non-resident of MA at the time you received the distribution, the distribution would be taxed in AZ.  

If distribution received as a MA resident, file part-year MA resident return and include distribution as income for MA.  Tax amount in box 16 will offset MA tax.

If distribution received as AZ resident, include distribution on AZ part-year return and pay AZ tax.  Tax amount in box 16 of 1099R will be refunded to you from part-year MA return.  

We received the check and the form 1099R both at our Arizona address, but it was forwarded with US Post Office, as we forgot to update the address with Vanguard after we moved out of MA, so I am just not sure how to allocate or "guess" taxes. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

If the 1099-R was from a retirement account at a job that you had in Massachusetts, then the entire amount would be Massachusetts income.

Hello and thank you again! So just leave it as Massachusetts even though TurboTax asks what state I was living in when received the form / payment?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, just leave it as Massachusetts as it is income from Massachusetts.

lee oshman
Returning Member

how do you allocate income to each state.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you are asking about retirement income reported on a Form 1099-R and received periodically through the year, you would allocate the total distribution proportionately to the time you lived in each state if you moved during the year.  

Or, if you received a lump sum distribution, then it would be allocated to the state where you lived when you received the distribution.

If this did not answer your question, please add more details.

@lee oshman 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies