Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-OID with no boxes checked

A couple of entries on my 1099-OID have no boxes (including box 11) with entries but have an additional column called "Tax-Exempt Original Interest Discount." Since no boxes are checked, do these amounts need to be entered anywhere or can I just ignore them as FYI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

We'd love to help you complete your tax return but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

• Other than the Payer and Recipient, what else is on the form?
  • Where do you see "Tax-Exempt Original Interest Discount."?
  • Where do you see the additional column?
  • Does your form look like the one below?

I know this is not a completely answer, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The information on the form with entries are:

Payer, Cusip, State, Notes.

All other boxes read 0 including box 11.

Beyond the columns with boxes is another column that reads "Tax-Exempt Original Issue Discount." There is a value in this column. No Box is indicated.

No, my form does not look like yours. It is part of the 2022 Consolidated Forms 1099 from my broker. It looks just like the ones I have received from them in prior years and from other brokers before them. As is normal on these consolidated forms, each column has a heading and most have associated box numbers. In my case, as I indicated above, there is:

Description, Cusip (Box1), Original Issue Discount for 2022 (Box 1), Original Issue Discount on US Treasury Obligations (Box 8), Investment Expenses (Box 9), Tax-Exempt Original Issue Discount (Box 11), Tax-Exempt Original Issue Discount, State, Note. The only columns with entries not showing zero are Description, Cusip, Tax-Exempt Original Issue Discount, State (no box number indicated), State, and Note. The Note says, "Amount in columns not referenced by a box number represents tax-exempt securities acquired before January 1, 2017 which are not reported to the IRS. "

I have no way to further clarify my question, It is an accurate description of my query.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The Note is telling you what you really need to know - the information on the statement you received is tax-exempt and not reported to the IRS.  You do not need to enter this form on your tax returns for this year.

@lilly54 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I checked this with my broker who asked their CPA for guidance. The guidance is to report in box 11.  There is some kind of law that requires this odd reporting on the 1099 but it's really a box 11 OID.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies