Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC + 1099-B for stock options - how to report?

I had stock options at a company I left in 2022. When I left I exercised the option. Later in 2022 the company did a funding round and my stock was sold to the new investor. I have received both a 1099-NEC for the "income" representing the difference in my purchase price and the FMV at time of exercising, and a 1099-B for the proceed from the following sale. The 1099-B does not show any cost basis. I'm now unsure how to file this. Let's do an example with round numbers to illustrate it:

Cash paid by me at time of exercising: $10,000

FMV at time of exercising: $40,000

Sales price: $100,000

My 1099-NEC lists income of $30,000 (FMV minus price paid; it does not detail the FMV and the price paid, just the difference)

My 1099-B lists proceeds as $100,000

Since the stock was sold in the same year it was purchased, my taxable gain should be $90K (100-10) and the FMV should be irrelevant. However, Turbotax sees both as taxable income, i.e. income of $130K instead of $90K.

How do I report this correctly so I'm only taxed on the $90K? I cannot just omit the 1099-NEC since it's reported to the IRS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You have to report the form 1099-NEC as the difference between your exercise price and the FMV at the time is taxed as ordinary income.

When you sell the stock, your cost basis is $40k ($10k exercise price + $30k taxed income) and your capital gain is $60k. When entering your 1099_B, you should enter $40k as your cost basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. 

"When you sell the stock, your cost basis is $40k ($10k exercise price + $30k taxed income) and your capital gain is $60k. When entering your 1099_B, you should enter $40k as your cost basis."

That makes sense. However, how can the IRS verify where the $40K cost basis comes from? The 1099-NEC and the 1099-B seem unrelated and the 1099-NEC just says $30K (the $10K purchase price is not reported anywhere [I can find it in Carta, but it's not furnished to the IRS afaik]).

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If the IRS wishes to verify your declared cost basis, they will write to you and you can show them proof of the $10k exercise price and the reported $30k on the 1099-NEC.

Thanks for this. I have a very similar case in which the ESOPs were cancelled as part of a cashless exercise and we received 1099-NEC for the transaction. I understand that the 1099-NEC amount is taxed as ordinary income.

Do I also have to pay self-employment taxes on this portion or is it just the income tax. As far as I can tell, this payment does not fall under IRS's definition of "You're in a self-employed trade or business if your primary purpose is to make a profit and your activity is regular and continuous.".

However, if not SE income, this 1099-NEC is being asked to be reported under line 8j of Schedule-1 which reads "Activity not engaged in for profit income". Is that correct?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

This is correct. The income you received from the discount on the purchase price of the stock is ordinary income that should not be subject social security or self-employment tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies