turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Robert5

1099-MISC income less than Standard Deduction?

My 21-year son is filing his own taxes (filing "Single"). His only income for 2018 was ad revenue from YouTube paid to him on a 1099-MISC. It amounted to about $3,900. He had about $800 in expenses associated with generating that income leaving a net income of roughly $3,100. Since his net income is less than the standard deduction of $12,000 does he need to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

are you claiming him and receiving the 'other dependent tax credit? (which you may be able to if he still living at home - run through TT and see what TT advices you to do.

The reason for asking is the answer is different whether or not you claim him as a dependent

see link below and especially the sub-heading 'dependent tax filing'

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/does-everyone-need-to-file-an-income-tax-return/...

if your son uses TT, TT will figure out whether filing is necessary or not, but it begins with whether you are declaring him as a dependent or not on your return 

Robert5

I actually have already submitted my tax return. I believe last year there was some reason I could not file with him as a dependent, so I assumed the same would hold true this year.  I will run a test and see however. Might be worth a amended return.

But assuming he is filing on his own and not a dependent of me, would he need to file with only $3,900 of gross income from a single 1099-MISC?

Thanks!

- Robert

IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if the 1099-MISC shows the income in Box 7 for Nonemployee Compensation. This type of income is subject to Self-Employment Tax (Social Security and FICA), which is in addition to regular income tax. You have to file a tax return if you had income from self-employment of $400 or more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies