turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-Misc for Inheritance

I received a 1099-Misc for a distribution of inheritance.  As I understand, inheritance is not taxable income.  Is there any circumstance where it would be taxable?

I spoke with the attorneys office, and was told that the primary source of the inheritance was from real estate that was sold.  I was told that taxes were paid by the estate.  They said to file this "Not my Interest to Pay" and reference the TIN for the Payer.  If this is correct, how is this done using TurboTax?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Because it was reported in Box 3, the IRS will be looking for it to be on your return. I would recommend that you call the Attorney that sent you the 1099-Misc and ask why the inheritance was reported as Other Income.

You also need to request he send you a Corrected 1099-Misc removing the amount in Box 3. Some individuals believe that if they remit an amount over $600 they are required the form, when in fact not disbursements are required to be reported to the IRS.

The suggestion that the attorney gave you to state "Not my interest to pay" is not an acceptable method to not to report the income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Whether you need to report depends on what box the funds are shown on the Form 1099-Misc. Normally inherited funds are not taxable.

We will need to know what box the amount is listed in to adequately answer your question if you need to report the funds and if you do where to report the amount.

It is reported in Box 3 Other Income.  

I was also told that the estate paid taxes on the sale of the property under the Payer's EIN provided.  They said I could just submit this with "Not My Interest to Pay" and refer to the Payer's EIN.  I do not see how to do this with TurboTax. 

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Because it was reported in Box 3, the IRS will be looking for it to be on your return. I would recommend that you call the Attorney that sent you the 1099-Misc and ask why the inheritance was reported as Other Income.

You also need to request he send you a Corrected 1099-Misc removing the amount in Box 3. Some individuals believe that if they remit an amount over $600 they are required the form, when in fact not disbursements are required to be reported to the IRS.

The suggestion that the attorney gave you to state "Not my interest to pay" is not an acceptable method to not to report the income.

Thank you Kurt!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies