turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-T (tuition and enrollment fees)

I got to the Education and Expenses section, but was never prompted to enter my 1098T form. Now there is no where to enter the information, and it says my tuition and enrollment fees are $0 which is not true. There is no where to go back and enter it. I have tried everything. It says I entered that information earlier, which I didnt. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

To enter your education expenses, let's try this.  In TurboTax online, Here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off
  • On the screen, Now Let's XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Continue to follow the prompts to answer the on-screen questions
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  • See the images below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

To enter your education expenses, let's try this.  In TurboTax online, Here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off
  • On the screen, Now Let's XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Continue to follow the prompts to answer the on-screen questions
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  • See the images below.

jm81

I am unable to follow these same steps on to the non-online version.  I am using the the Deluxe version.  This is the flow process. 

When going through the "Education" portion I selected the expenses which included 1098-T.  In the first screen it states that it includes both 1098-E and 1098-T.  When continuing with selection of "yes" the next screen only covers "Coverdell Education Savings Account" and "Form 1099-Q."  In my situation I do not have either.  It then goes to the next screen it shows "Additional Education Expenses."  When I am at the screen where  there are two input boxes, "Books and materials required" and "Books and materials not required" the "Tuition and enrollment fee" is 0 (see image attached).  I continue through the rest of the section and I do not get a screen in which I can fill out the information for my 1098-T form.  I have followed all the help and search items on your program and on  your website but at no point I am able to input my 1098-T.   Where can I input my information for the 1098-T?  

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

@jm81

I have the same issue as @jm81. The only way I could enter the "tuition and enrollment fee" was to go to the forms screen. I had to enter the entire 1098-T in Forms mode. Then I went back to Step-By-Step and was able to edit the student's info as suggested. 

However, even with that workaround, I found that TurboTax would double-count the tuition that I entered. It is a buggy flow that Intuit needs to look in to. I'm still trying to correct all the numbers.

TurboTax Premier for Windows downloaded version. Most recent update as of 2/9/2020.

rheron

Thanks all,

I too was using TurboTax Deluxe, the paid for version, and wasted at least 30 minutes trying to find the 1098T form.  Don't know if this is a bug in the software or if I clicked on the wrong sequence of screens but it was quite frustrating not being able to find where to input the information. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you seem "stuck" in the education interview and can't get to the 1098-T screen at the beginning, keep clicking to Continue until you reach the summary screen at the end of the Education interview questions.  You should be able to add or edit a 1098-T entry on that summary screen.

DrJCPA

I'm in Turbotax Deluxe on my PC and it will not allow entry of 1098-T box 1 for tuition payments and related expenses; it only accepts box 5 through the prompts. When attempting to force TurboTax to allow entry of the box 1 information, it results in a pop-up box that said it's already been entered.

This appears to be a glitch in the program for 2019 for individuals and causes incorrect income attribution to users. Please fix ASAP.

DrJCPA

Forgot to add that the only apparent work around is to select Forms and then 1098-T and do manual entry into the Tuition Statement form. I was not able to access this any other way. It was not part of the question approach or direct entry.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

To enter your 1098T in TurboTax use these directions:

• Click on Federal 
  • Then click on Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click on More Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Education, click on Show More
  • Click on Expenses and Scholarships (1098T)
  • A couple of screens in click Add a Student
  • Answer the questions on the following screens until you come to Your Education Expenses Summary
  • Next to the name of the student, click on Edit
  • Next to the name of the school click Edit

For more information about Education expenses and credits click here.

glc052

Convoluted but it worked

Stewart Ebaugh
Returning Member

This still has not been fixed for the 2021 Tax Year.  I'm at that same point right now and my Tuition amount shown is $0.  I am able to got to the Forms and add the number shown on the 1098-T, but I'm not sure if that's even correct.  My daughter attended a Study Abroad program for the Spring semester at Oxford University in England and we paid over $20K just for that, but the 1098-T shows $14K+.  Of course, she had the Fall semester back on campus with the tuition and fees associated with that as well.  Isn't this stuff fun??!!!!!

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

You have to go through that section step by step. Go to the summary and edit, then enter any missing information. You want to use step by step rather than forms mode for a more accurate return as the program was designed for step by step.

The education expenses for study abroad are not listed on the 1098-T since they may not qualify. See Qualified College 

For education tax credit purposes, the school must be a qualified school at the time you are claiming education expenses and the credit. 

A qualified school is any college, university, or other post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program Administered by the U.S. Department of Education. 

@Stewart Ebaugh

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies