turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040ES vouchers have deceased as Your Name and survived as Spouse (filing jointly)

2019 - Filed Jointly - Husband and Spouse 

2020 - husband passed, wrote "Deceased" on 2019 1040

The 1040ES vouchers for 2020 have my late husband listed as "Your Name/Your SSN" and me as "Spouse's Name/Spouse's SSN"

Do I need to change that or add "Deceased" to every voucher? 

• If I should change it, is it enough just to change the Personal Information order it in TT 2019 and reprint the vouchers?
    • I'm worried that might mess up anything in the IRS records if the names & SSNs suddenly reverse in 2020 compared to 2019?
  • Or should I just use blank vouchers perhaps and fill it in by hand? 
    • If by hand, who's name should go where?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

1040ES vouchers have deceased as Your Name and survived as Spouse (filing jointly)

For 2019 and 2020, just use the provided forms.

For both 2019 and 2020, you will be filing married joint, so your two accounts are tied together. Don't confuse them by switching the order of the names.

You won't start filing on your own until 2021, when you will use only your name and SS number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Use blank vouchers. Since you will be filing a Single tax return for 2020, do not include your spouses name on the voucher at all. Enter your name and SSN. You can download the blank forms from the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

You can avoid the vouchers entirely by using IRS direct pay. Enter your information only when you set up the payment from your bank: https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

CORRECTION: I misread the date of death. You will still file married filing jointly for 2020 since your spouse died in 2020 not in 2019. I don't think it matters whether the estimated tax payments have both spouses names on them or just your name. 

"Since you will be filing a Single tax return for 2020"

Wait, that's not right, is it?   Husband died in 2020, so for 2020's 1040 I'll still file jointly, correct?  

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If spouse died in 2020, yes, you will still file jointly for 2020.

OK, thanks, so keeping with the same question

• Should I use blank forms and, if so,
    • should it be different than what's on the 2019/2020 returns as Primary(Husband ) then Spouse (me) information even though my spouse is now deceased?  So just me?  Or me then him?
  • Just use the provided forms with his name/SSN first?

Thanks!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

For 2019 and 2020, just use the provided forms.

For both 2019 and 2020, you will be filing married joint, so your two accounts are tied together. Don't confuse them by switching the order of the names.

You won't start filing on your own until 2021, when you will use only your name and SS number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies