Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

$10,200 unemployment compensation exclusion and PTC

Must the $10,200 unemployment compensation that is excluded from AGI still be included in MAGI for figuring the Premium Tax Credit on form 8962?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If included in MAGI, won't increase PTC. It is moot since part of ARPA includes that excess PTC will not be repaid.

bradenleg100
Returning Member

It may be a moot point if you chose to take the Premium Tax Credit in the form of monthly subsidies (Advanced Premium Tax Credits), however, it is not moot if you chose to pay full monthly premiums and entire take the credit at the end of the year when you filed taxes.

I filed my taxes with the TT Premium edition on 3/2 with $14600 refund including a refund of $11,300 for the Premium Tax Credit.  I log in to TT 3/25, and it appears that Turbo Tax retroactively reduced my refund to $3300 and the Premium Tax Credit has been removed.  After doing some digging, it appears that the unemployment tax 'break' was recalculated into my return by Turbo Tax without me knowing and the $10200 Unemployment waiver took our income below the threshold for the Premium Tax Credit.  Obviously, the intent of the Unemployment waiver provision was not to make ineligible those that were already eligible for the Premium Tax Credit.  This affects a very small population of taxpayers (had unemployment income, income was within $10200 of the FPL, and those taxpayers had chosen to pay their full monthly premiums and take the PTC at the end of the year instead of receiving monthly subsidies).  In my case, the retroactive Unemployment waiver reduced my MAGI below 100% FPL which reduced my refund and removed my PTC in Turbo Tax.  This was certainly not the intent of the provision.   Rather, it was intended to provide larger refunds for the unemployed taxpayer.  I contacted the IRS and the guidance that they provided was that the $10200 unemployment tax break was not a mandatory deduction, i.e., if it doesn't help you, you are not required to include it.  The provision uses language like "you may", "you are allowed" "you can" instead of "you are required' to take the unemployment tax break/deduction.  Problem is, Turbo Tax is automatically including it for everyone who qualifies for it, regardless of if it helps or hurts your tax refund and the system does not have an option to not take the deduction.  If you want to exclude the unemployment deduction, you are being forced to file a paper return so that it is not automatically included with Turbo Tax.

bradenleg100
Returning Member

Can I please get a response from Turbo Tax on this issue??

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I have good news.  It's already taken care of.

It is first recorded on Schedule 1 as Unemployment Compensation on line 7.  Then on line 8 there is a UCE (Unemployment Compensation Exclusion) of -$10,200.

This is then carried over and posted to your tax return (1040) on line 8.

So, it’s already included. 

Unemployment Stimulus: Am I Eligible for the New Unemployment Income Relief?

The IRS announced that people who are eligible for the unemployment tax deduction and have already filed their 2020 taxes do not need to file an amended return.

If you owe under $1,000 the unemployment adjustment should cover that expense.  However, if you owe more than that I suggest you do make a payment.

If you've already filed your return, the IRS will recalculate your taxes, adjust your account accordingly, and send any refund amount directly to you.  States are following a similar process.

The IRS strongly urges taxpayers not to file amended returns related to the new legislative provisions or take other unnecessary steps at this time. 

@bradenleg100

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bradenleg100
Returning Member

Please take the time to read my comment.  I specifically said that I do not want to take the unemployment tax break  because it drops my AGI below the threshold to be eligible for the PTC.  So the PTC that I qualified for when I did my taxes on 3/2 was removed when Turbo Tax retroactively auto recalculated.  My taxes were filed on 3/2 and my refund was $14,600 (including the Premium Tax Credit of $11,300).  Now, Turbo Tax is showing my refund should be $3300 (with no Premium Tax Credit).  The retroactive Unemployment tax break is not a mandatory deduction and therefore, TurbonTax needs to incorporate functionality for a taxpayer to forego the tax break if it is not beneficial.  I recognize that I am one of the very few people who do not benefit from the Unemployment tax break because I pay my full monthly health premiums and take the credit at the end of the year, but I am one nonetheless.  If someone does not want to take the Unemployment exclusion, they would be forced to file their taxes manually and not complete the extra Unemployment Exclusion Worksheet - basically complete Schedule 1 without taking the deduction on line 8.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You don't have the option of "including" taxable income on your return if that income has, by law, been "excluded" from taxation.

You are under no obligation to claim a tax credit or tax deduction, but the unemployment compensation exclusion is not a credit or a deduction - it is an exclusion.

The unemployment compensation has already been reported to the IRS as income on Form 1099-G, Federal law states that up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation is "excluded" from tax.  You can't decide to ignore that part of the tax law in order to get around the laws applying to the Premium Tax Credit. If that were the case, you could manipulate your AGI by mis-reporting other tax-exempt income (e.g. municipal bonds) or just report cash income that you never received in order to qualify to the PTC.

bradenleg100
Returning Member

While i agree with the majority of your reply with respect to how 'taxable' income is treated or should be treated, the fundamental disagreement is whether this income is legally required to be included if eligible for the tax break.  The retroactive nature of this provision is where the problem comes into play.  For instance, if Congress is allowed to retroactively change tax laws each year, it would be impossible for anyone to accurately estimate taxable income for the year with respect to the PTC, as changes to what is considered taxable or non-taxable would move people in and out of the PTC eligible range after the fact.  In my case, every December, i either take a withdrawal from my Retirement account or add to it so that my MAGI is in range for the PTC.  By having retroactive changes the following year, taxpayers are prevented the ability to plan or accurately estimate AGI.  This is fundamentally unfair.  In the case of this last minute provision to exclude a portion of unemployment from taxes, i believe most everyone would agree that the intent of Congress was for the tax break to benefit more of the unemployed taxpayers by either increasing their refund or reducing the amount owed.  It certainly was not meant to be punitive.  And as it is only punitive to a very small population of taxpayers (those that forego the monthly PTC subsidies in lieu of a year-end tax credit  AND whose income fell out of the PTC range when the retroactive tax break was applied), i believe this unintended consequence has not been addressed.  A few days ago, the IRS provided guidance with respect to the PTC and unemployment tax break when it said that if your income fell out of range (due to the unemployment waiver or any other reason), you would not have to repay any excess Premium Tax Credit that you received in 2020, however, it has not yet addressed those that did not receive the advance subsidies.  In other words, if your tax credit was $12,000 and you took $1000 per month last year in the form of advanced credits AND  your income fell out of range because of the unemployment waiver, you do not have to pay back anything, however, the taxpayer that received the $12,000 tax credit at time of filing would be required to pay back the $12000?  Personally, i filed my taxes on 3/1 with Turbo Tax (prior to the bill passing) and was eligible for a Premium Tax Credit of $12,000.  My return was processed and i received my refund.  Now, on 4/14, when i go in to Turbo Tax to amend my return, it shows no refund and the Premium Tax Credit removed after the Turbo Tax auto recalculate. Basically, i cannot amend my taxes because the refund amount is incorrect.   I just cannot see how legally the IRS can come back and say, 'yeah, we know that you filed your returns correctly on 3/1 and you were eligible for the tax credit, but a new bill was passed that changed your taxable income for the previous year, so you have to return the $12000'...especially since they already absolved those who took the credit in the form of advanced subsidies in 2020.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but in the meantime, i spent an hour and a half on the phone with the IRS this afternoon discussing this particular issue and the concerns i have with the retroactive nature of how this is being applied.  This issue has been assigned to the Systemic Tax Advocacy Committee (case #48272) and they have formed a working committee to figure this out.  Based on my conversation with the committee lead, they agree that the intent of the provision was not to be punitive and that additional guidance is likely forthcoming.  However, I believe that as the IRS works through the Unemployment returns, they will see this issue pop up and will be forced to address it.  I just don't see how the IRS can make people start returning refunds when the returns were filed correctly (prior to the bill passing in March).  Retroactive changes to tax law becomes very dicey.  With that being said, this is really a moot discussion for me, because as i mentioned above, i have to amend my return for additional income which puts me back in the PTC range (K-1 income/capital gain).  Although, i cannot amend the return with the recalculated numbers currently showing in Turbo Tax.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my original post.  When/if i hear back from the IRS regarding additional guidance , i will post here.

bradenleg100
Returning Member

Yep, the folks that opted for the full monthly subsidies in 2020 are absolved from paying back the credit if they fell out of the PTC range, but the IRS has not yet addressed those taxpayers that chose to pay full monthly health premiums and instead take the tax credit at year end.  There are very few people that fall into that bucket, so am assuming it has not come up yet.  Hopefully, guidance is provided soon.

Hello, I was wondering if you had a resolution to your case? Although I filed my taxes after the American Rescue Plan law was passed, I am in the same boat as you with regards to the $10,200 tax exclusion retroactively driving my taxable income so low I don't qualify to get my Premium Tax Credit back as part of my refund. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Thank you in advance for any information you may have on this issue!

I played with this situation in my professional program and the only way to make it work is to override the amounts on the form 8962 which the IRS will not allow.  Hopefully you will get an answer on this situation but usually folks with income that low will use the advance credit  so this is not an issue ... even if you expected your income to be much higher and it was not you had the option to apply the credit in advance anytime during the year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies