turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Questions regarding IP PIN submission

If both my federal and state returns have already been transmitted/accepted, and I have already received my refund(s) on that, do I still have to get my IP PIN transmitted, or do I just submit that to IRS. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@ mmigel5921 wrote:

If both my federal and state returns have already been transmitted/accepted, and I have already received my refund(s) on that, do I still have to get my IP PIN transmitted, or do I just submit that to IRS. 

That's very confusing.    An IP PIN is a special 6-digit Identity Protection PIN provided by the IRS to certain victims of identity theft, or to those who electively opt-in to the IP PIN program.    If someone is required to have an IP PIN (or opt-in), they cannot successfully efile without it.  If someone tries to efile without it, the return will be rejected.   Yet you say you not only efiled your returns, but that the efiled returns were accepted and that you have received your refunds.  So I'm not sure what the problem is that prompted you to ask this question.

Are you required by the IRS to use a 6-digit IP PIN this year, and did you receive it?  When did you get it?   Did you not enter it in the return interview when you prepared your Federal return?

If you are required to file with an IP PIN and didn't include it in your efile, then the efile of both your Federal and state returns should have rejected.   The Federal return would have rejected without the IP PIN, and a Federal rejection makes the efiled state return automatically reject as well.   So your situation in regards to an IP PIN is not clear at all.

Since your efiled returns were accepted and you have received the refunds, why are you now at this point in time asking about an IP PIN?

If you are assigned an IP-PIN (6 digit identity protection PIN) you generally must include it with your e-filed return, or write it next to your signature on a paper return, or else the IRS will not process the return.  Your IP pin changes every year, and new one is mailed to you in December or January.  Your IP-PIN is not required for your state tax return.  

What is supposed to happen if you have an IP Pin assigned and don't include it, is your federal return will be rejected.  Your state return may still be accepted and processed.  But if both state and federal returns were processed and you have received both refunds, you don't need to do anything else. You may be mistaken about the need for an IP PIN.  Or, if the IP-PIN was issued after you filed, you didn't need it this year, but you will need it next year, and it will be different next year. 

@mmigel5921 by chance, did you request the PIN AFTER you filed? 

in any event, the IRS is going to issue you a new PIN each year, so it will be important to use the PIN to efile - otherwise, it will be rejected and you will be forced to paper file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies