turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Questions on the Form 8615

1) So there is a question that asks: "Was the child either 18 years old or a full-time student age 19 to 23

with investment income more than $2,200 and their earned income did not exceed one-half of their support?" The only thing that is wrong about this is "investment income more than $2,200". I did not have any sort of investments in a stocks/company/whatever. So why then is the answer to this question "Yes"? I can't seem to be able to change the answer to "No". 

2) The answer to the question "Enter the child's taxable income from Form 1040 or Form 1040-NR, line 15.
If the child files Form 2555, see the instructions" is "0" However, I had a part-time job where I earned money that was taxed. Why isn't the ~$1.1K amount listed there? Why is it 0?

I don't seem to be able to change anything on this form except add my parent's SSN.

3) Am I required to file this form if I am not a qualifying child of my parent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You do not have to file Form 8615. For 2020, a child must file Form 8615 if all of the following conditions apply:

• The child has more than $2,200 in unearned income
  • The child is required to file a tax return
  • The child does not file a joint tax return with a spouse
  • At least one of the child's parents is alive
  • The child is within certain age limits

You said you did not have any unearned income and if your only income was $1,100 from a W-2 job then you would not be required to file a tax return, though you may do so to claim a refund. If you are not being claimed as a dependent, then your filing threshold is $12,400.

Form 8615 would not show your W-2 income because your taxable income (line 4) is $0 after the $12,400 standard deduction.

Learn more at What is IRS Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You do not have to file Form 8615. For 2020, a child must file Form 8615 if all of the following conditions apply:

• The child has more than $2,200 in unearned income
  • The child is required to file a tax return
  • The child does not file a joint tax return with a spouse
  • At least one of the child's parents is alive
  • The child is within certain age limits

You said you did not have any unearned income and if your only income was $1,100 from a W-2 job then you would not be required to file a tax return, though you may do so to claim a refund. If you are not being claimed as a dependent, then your filing threshold is $12,400.

Form 8615 would not show your W-2 income because your taxable income (line 4) is $0 after the $12,400 standard deduction.

Learn more at What is IRS Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies