Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chay
Level 1

Questions about my current mailing address and phone number in My Info

Hello,

I have two questions about my current mailing address and phone number in My Info to file the tax form.

I had worked in U.S. from Sep to Dec in 2019 but moved to a foreign country in Jan 2020. Therefore, I currently have a foreign mailing address and a foreign phone number (I discarded my U.S. cell phone number). Since I have a foreign mailing address, I can not e-file my return (according to Turbotax, IRS requires to mail the printed forms if I have Earned Income Credit). Also, Turbotax does not let me use my foreign phone number. Therefore, I am thinking to use my friend's US mailing address and US phone number. It will allow me to e-file my returns. Consequently, I want to ask if it is okay to put my friend' US mailing address and phone number. 

Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It is okay to use an alternate address and phone number for your tax return.  Just be aware that any correspondence that the IRS may send to you, including checks (if there is any issue with your direct deposit, for example), will go to this address.  

The IRS will consider this address an "official" address for any required notices to be sent to you, so just be sure that any information sent to you at this address gets to you in a timely manner.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It is okay to use an alternate address and phone number for your tax return.  Just be aware that any correspondence that the IRS may send to you, including checks (if there is any issue with your direct deposit, for example), will go to this address.  

The IRS will consider this address an "official" address for any required notices to be sent to you, so just be sure that any information sent to you at this address gets to you in a timely manner.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies