Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question on dependent

Hi, My wife and daughter (1.5 year/US Citizen) were in India for throughout the year (2016) for my wife's medical reasons. My wife doesn't work and she is home maker. I took care of all the expenses  for them during their stay in India. Can I claim my daughter as dependent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Question on dependent

Yes; if your daughter is a US citizen, then it doesn't matter where in the world (India, or Indiana) you happen to physically be residing at the time you file your federal (United States Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) tax return.

For federal tax purposes, a US citizen remains a US citizen for life, unless he or she takes legal steps to revoke it.  So, in your case, even though you are living with your family in India, when you file your tax return, you can claim her as a dependent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Question on dependent

Yes; if your daughter is a US citizen, then it doesn't matter where in the world (India, or Indiana) you happen to physically be residing at the time you file your federal (United States Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) tax return.

For federal tax purposes, a US citizen remains a US citizen for life, unless he or she takes legal steps to revoke it.  So, in your case, even though you are living with your family in India, when you file your tax return, you can claim her as a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies