Solved: Question on dependent

ashishrkgit

Question on dependent

Hi, My wife and daughter (1.5 year/US Citizen) were in India for throughout the year (2016) for my wife's medical reasons. My wife doesn't work and she is home maker. I took care of all the expenses  for them during their stay in India. Can I claim my daughter as dependent?

GeoffreyG

Question on dependent

Yes; if your daughter is a US citizen, then it doesn't matter where in the world (India, or Indiana) you happen to physically be residing at the time you file your federal (United States Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) tax return.

For federal tax purposes, a US citizen remains a US citizen for life, unless he or she takes legal steps to revoke it.  So, in your case, even though you are living with your family in India, when you file your tax return, you can claim her as a dependent.

GeoffreyG

Question on dependent