Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about TT packaging and security for TY 2022

This question pertains to Turbotax Deluxe Federal + Federal E-File Including a free State for TY 2022.

If someone directly from Turbotax can answer it would be appreciated because I have received incorrect answers on some other questions on occasion from members of this forum. But I thank anyone who knows the answers to these questions with certainty for their response.

===

Has TT changed its packaging for 2022? Or maybe it comes packaged in different ways.

In past years the CD I bought always came in a plastic box that you can snap open and shut, that was covered with a clear plastic wrap with a seal on the edge.

This year it came in a foldable cardboard card that you simply open like a greeting card.

I don't really care about the difference, but I want to be sure I have no security concerns and everything is proper.

Question #1:
Has the packaging been changed for TY 2022?

Question #2:
Should the cardboard flip open card be shrink wrapped if unopened?

===
On the back of the card is small opening on the lower right. Through that opening you can see a 2 row 13 digit number. Underneath that number is the SKU number which is 5101368.  To the right if that is a small QR code.

Question #3:
Should that opening in the back be covered with a popout piece of cardboard so it cannot be read unless the package is opened?

Question #4:
Is that the number used to E-file returns once they are ready to file?  If not what is the significance of it?

Question #5:
Is there a name for that number? Is it the “serial number?” If not what is it called?

Question #6:
If the answer to number 4 is yes, I assume that if someone else gets that number, they can possibly use it to E-file and that will use up your 5 return limit. Is that correct?

Question #7:
Are there any other security concerns if someone else has that number? For example, can they then somehow gain access to your returns or private information?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why?  Yes that's ok.  Probably depends on where you buy it.  The last couple years I got it at Costco and it's in a cardboard package you have to tear open.  There will be a 16 digit License Code,  that's all you need.   

Yes, I looked at my package from last year and there was a 16 digit license code.

I am concerned that the one I bought this year has been opened.  It seems like it should be shrink wrapped.  But maybe it is not supposed to be.  When you open the card on the inside there is a tear off cardboard perferated strip that says "Tear here for product and installation instructions."  That has not been removed so it appears to be sealed.

But on the back, the numbers and QR code I referred to above under that little open panel on the back were exposed when I received it.  And it looks like there was a little cover on that panel that was removed before I  received it.  I am concerned someone else had access to that and it could be a security risk for me of some kind.  Not sure why that panel is removed and if you are supposed to be able to open this package like a greeting card or if it should be sealed.

The only thing that is sealed on this is that little tear off strip on the inside.  There are no other seals on the package.

I have not yet opened that tear off strip as I am hoping to get an answer to these questions first before doing anything else.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies