Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about filing state tax a year later… 2021.. just the state

So apparently for 2021 I didn’t file my state for North Carolina but I did efile the federal. Now the question is, can I simply input the w2 info and efile my states 2021 return? Or what should I do? All I know is I checked turbo tax, and it shows missing info for state, im not sure what happened but the state never got filed for 2021 but the federal did and yes the federal was accepted.. is it that simple or so I have to mail it in? Either way do I just add the info, print it, and mail it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You will need to switch to the Desktop program to continue or finish or to add a state.   Or get the blank forms from the IRS or state and fill them out by hand.  You need to use a full Windows or Mac computer.  And mail the return.  If you paid for the Online version ask support to give you the Desktop program download.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

How to finish a prior year online return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

You will first need to download the tax data file from Online.  It will end in .tax2021, .tax2020, .tax2019 etc.  You can download the tax file for free.  Then you need to install the Desktop program.

So I get the desktop program, finish adding the state, print and mail? That simple? I’m guessing turbo tax and the state won’t allow efiling for such a late return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies