Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

question about early termination of my lease

Because of the job requirement, I may need to move to the other country. I still have 4 months lease. I had a chat with my agent. They dont allow me to sublease the flat or release it by myself. What they allow me to do is to pay one month's rent as re-lease fee to the agency. The agency tries to market the flat and finds another one to lease the flat for 12 months with a price higher than my current price (they call it market price). if they find the tenant to replace me, I can stop the rent payment and may get some deposit refund. If they cannot, I have to pay the rent till the end of my contract. 

For my case, I just make the payment and dont receive any payment from the next tenant or anyeone (except for the potential deposit refund from the agency). I assume I do not need to pay any tax for the whole process.  If I am wrong, please correct me. Can I claim some loss for the early termination and what part can be claimed? If I leave now, I will be NRA for this year. Can I still claim any loss? 

Thanks

J

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

No.  This is a personal expense.   There is nothing to enter on a tax return about an early termination of a lease.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is not a taxable event. You don't own the property. A casualty loss is for property destroyed due to a Federally Declared Disaster.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, so no tax to pay and no loss to claim. Basically, I cannot input anything to the tax return, right? @CatinaT1 @xmasbaby0 

That is correct.  There is nothing to enter into your tax return about terminating your lease.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies