Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Quarterly taxes and lower income

I had a great income level at my job in 2022--so much so that I ended up owing and need to pay quarterly taxes this year. 

Unfortunately, I was laid off in January and my income will be substantially less. (Still not working.) Those quarterly payments are big. Is there a way to "rebalance" this given that my income will likely be half or less of what I made last year?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for clarifying, since you are already having taxes withheld from your Unemployment, estimated taxes may not be necessary at this point, unless something changes in the future, but theoretically, If you have a W2 job, they should be withholding the appropriate amount based off of your W4 and estimated payments wouldn't be needed.  It never hurts to use the TurboTax Tax Caster to see where you might be:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ That way you can make any adjustments if need be. 🙂 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Also, you do not need to alert the IRS.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Yes.  You could even ignore them and not pay them.  They are optional.

To prepare or edit estimates for next year you need to be in your current return. But be careful not to change anything in your actual return.

In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
Select Tax Home in the left menu.
Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
Select 2022, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you back into your return so you can make changes).

Search by typing in W4. Hit the Enter or Return key to get the Jump to w4 link to show up. Go to the W4 page and it will ask if you want to Change your W4. Click on NO. The next page will start the Estimates.

Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Hello No103, 

Thank you for joining us today!  We're so happy you are here!  I am sorry to hear about you being laid off.  You can always adjust your Estimated Tax Payments quarterly based on the income you received in that quarter.  With that being said, if you had a payment plan with the IRS for that balance due, that is a different program.  Are you self employed and that is why you are making estimated tax payments?  Are you collecting Unemployment since your were laid off?  If so, are you having taxes withheld?  With a few more details on your situation, I feel I will be able to give you a more detailed answer.  I am happy to answer any other questions you might have.  Thanks again for joining us today, and please let me know if I can clarify any of my answers for you.

Hi  Holly, 

Thanks for your response. I did owe about $1300 (super mega tech company seems to have missed something in the withholding) I paid that prior to April 15, as well as the first quarterly payment because I was able to do so. But $1100 for each remaining quarter seems harsh when the only income I have is unemployment and that small amount already has withholding. 

Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for clarifying, since you are already having taxes withheld from your Unemployment, estimated taxes may not be necessary at this point, unless something changes in the future, but theoretically, If you have a W2 job, they should be withholding the appropriate amount based off of your W4 and estimated payments wouldn't be needed.  It never hurts to use the TurboTax Tax Caster to see where you might be:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ That way you can make any adjustments if need be. 🙂 

Thank you so much for this! If I just “don’t pay,” are there ramifications? Do I need to notify the IRS or anything? 

Nope.  The IRS won't be expecting estimates.  Just remember to enter any payments you made into your 2023 return to get credit for them.  

Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Hello No103, 

There would only be a ramification if you owe 1,000 or more, then there  might be a penalty for not paying estimated taxes.

Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Also, you do not need to alert the IRS.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies