Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Qualified Education Expenses Question

Hello Everyone,

I have a question that relates to qualified education expenses as I like to get well ahead of things when possible despite being a few months out from tax return filing. 

Earlier this year my wife returned to school via an online option. She qualified for direct student loans, of which 2 have been disbursed to first cover summer and now the ongoing fall classes. After tuition and books were covered by the disbursements, the remaining balance was refunded to the checking account. That refund was then used to purchase supplies to allow her access to her own computer instead of borrowing mine, so she got a laptop, docking station, peripherals, printer, ink, etc. I have never had to deal with student loans myself and this is her first time, so we are very new to this. When it comes time to file our taxes, I'm wondering how we go about the portion related to qualified education expenses. Technically everything from her school to textbooks to supplies, which to my knowledge qualify as education expenses, were purchased using a federal student loan. So are they still eligible to be included in the QEE? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Qualified Education Expenses Question

Q.  So are expenses paid by student loans eligible to be included in the QEE, for claiming a tuition credit.

A. Yes.

The answer might be different if the expenses were covered by tax free scholarships.  But, borrowed money (loans) is considered your money, not "student aid".

Tuition, fees, books and a neccessary computer are QEE.  Docking station, peripherals, printer, ink, etc.  are probably not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies