turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Qualification for Colorado Senior Housing Credit

I am 70 years old and live with my daughter. I am not claiming as her independent and file separately. I did not pay my daughter any rent and live for free.

Am I qualified for the Senior Housing Credit even though I am not spending any money on rent?

According to the rules, it seems that I am qualified if just review those three criteria:

• Is 65 years of age or older at the end of 2022;
  • Has federal adjusted gross income (AGI) that is less than or equal to $75,000; and
  • Has not claimed a homestead property tax exemption for the 2022 property tax year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, it appears you are qualified for the Colorado Senior Housing Credit, if you don't have a Homestead or Veteran's exemption.

Here's more info on the Colorado Senior Housing Credit.

@Halloween Boy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does that mean the credit works for everyone even for the ones not actually have house spending?

Thanks

No. If you meet the eligibility requirement, you claim the credit. Here are the requirements are:

Colorado seniors who were full-year or part-year residents in 2022 qualify for this credit if: 

• Your date of birth (or your spouse’s date of birth) is December 31, 1957, or earlier
  • Your adjusted gross income is $75,000 or less
  • Your primary residence was not already exempt from property tax as allowed under section 39-3-203 of the Colorado Revised Statutes (commonly known as the Senior Property Tax Exemption or Senior Homestead Exemption) for the property tax year beginning January 1, 2022.
    • This exemption should appear on your property tax statement from your county assessor. You may have been approved for this exemption by applying in a prior year. This exemption is generally allowed if one owner of a home is 65 years old as of January 1 and has occupied the home as a primary residence for at least 10 consecutive years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info.

Based on this criteria, I am qualified for this credit even though I do not have house spending, no rent and no house, but since I am 70, lower income, and not exempt for homestead exemption, I am qualified. Is that the correct understanding?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You're paraphrasing the requirements but, basically, yes. 

The criteria are what ShirlynW is relating above -- nothing more, nothing less.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies