How do I prepare a prior-year tax return?
If you need access a TurboTax Online return that you already filed, we've got instructions for that.
If you started an online return but didn't complete it before the mid-October shutdown, we can help you finish it.
Tax years 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Select your TurboTax product for the year you'd like to file. (Unfortunately, TurboTax Online is only available for the current tax year.)
- Select your operating system.
- Purchase your TurboTax product.
- Download and install your TurboTax product.
- Complete your return in TurboTax. We'll guide you through the process.
- When finished, print and file a paper return through the mail. (Prior-year returns cannot be e-filed.)
Then open up the account, click on add a state to get back in and then go to the FILE section to file. You have to pay your TurboTax fees in order to print.
When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.