turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Previous employer went out of business and I am unable to get a pay stub to fill out form 4852, what do I do?

My previous employer used a website for pay stubs and did not provide paper copies when is closed last year. How would I fill out my taxes this year if they did not provide a W-2 or a paper pay stub? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Previous employer went out of business and I am unable to get a pay stub to fill out form 4852, what do I do?

If you haven’t received your W-2, follow these steps:

1. Contact your employer If you have not received your W-2, contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.
  2. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:
  • Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
  • Dates of employment
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2020 The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

Here are some more options:

• They're not exact copies, but they contain everything on your W-2 except the state and local information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you haven’t received your W-2, follow these steps:

1. Contact your employer If you have not received your W-2, contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.
  2. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:
  • Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
  • Dates of employment
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2020 The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

Here are some more options:

• They're not exact copies, but they contain everything on your W-2 except the state and local information.

Thank you for this information, I've never encountered a time when a company did not provide a W-2 and since it has gone out of business I had no one at the company to contact. I think with this information I will be able to recover the information I need to be able to file my taxes this year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies