Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

parth33327
Returning Member

Postpone Return of 401K Excess Contribution

I pre-paid early 2022 federal and state estimated income taxes in 2021. Can I postpone the return of my 2022 individual 401K excess contribution until the stock-market returns to previous level to avoid losses from selling low, or must I withdraw the excess funds by April 1, 2023?

Most forum posts state that excess withdrawal for a previous year must be done before April 1 of the current year, but in my case I proactively paid the estimated income taxes in the previous year, and would continue to pay additional taxes in case of any gains.

For example, Can I delay the return of excess contribution until 2026 in case the stock market does not recover until then? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I postpone the return of my 2022 individual 401K contribution until the stock-market returns to previous level to avoid losses from selling low, or must I withdraw the excess funds by April 15, 2022?

you can postpone the return of excess 2022 401k contributions until 4/15/2023 (4/15/2022 has passed) 

you can only withdraw the excess contribution without penalty. there is a penalty for early withdrawal of non-excess if you are not 59- 1/2 it is taxable income. 

dmertz
Level 15

The deadline to obtain a return of an excess elective deferral is April 1, not the due date of your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies