Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 problem my W2 has a high social security tax withheld. I cannot get a new W2 since the restaurant closed in Feb. 2018. What do I need to do?

My employer no longer exists.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

W2 problem my W2 has a high social security tax withheld. I cannot get a new W2 since the restaurant closed in Feb. 2018. What do I need to do?

Please see the following Help article for information on excess Social Security withheld:   Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld?

[Edited | 3/9/2020 1:45pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What box is wrong?  How much is in boxes 3&4?  Why do you think it's too high?

Is the amount entered in box 4 of the W-2 greater than 6.2% of the wages entered in box 3?

Oh, did Turbo Tax tell you your employer took out too much SS?  Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $7,960.80.  So go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

The info was auto downloaded by turbo tax, box 3 was 502.52 , box 4 was 69.81. verified on paper W2. TurboTax said it will not file with the error. says Box 4 should be 31.16, Can I just manually update it?

Thank you all. found the answer
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Please see the following Help article for information on excess Social Security withheld:   Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld?

[Edited | 3/9/2020 1:45pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies