turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the tax bracket change if I’m single but I claimed my parents as eligible dependents?

Do I get any credits or deductions beside the change in tax brackets?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Does the tax bracket change if I’m single but I claimed my parents as eligible dependents?

You have asked this same question in several different forms.  Did you see the prior responses?

Please clarify. In one of your other questions you said:
"Am I considered the head of a household if I’m single with no dependents? I do not support anyone."
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes you do.  If you qualify, claiming your parents (even if they don't live in your house) can allow you to claim Head of Household, a  filing status that allows you a larger standard deduction ($18,000) than does the "Single" filing status ($12,000).  In addition, the lower-percentage tax brackets are larger (the 10% and 12% brackets), which also leads to lower tax (especially if you have a bit higher income).  Finally, claiming your parents allows you to claim the Other Dependent Credit of $500 per parent claim ($1000 less tax on your return).

But you do want to make sure that you qualify to claim your parents and the Head of Household benefit in particular.  This FAQ provides more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4791157

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies