Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bln
Level 2

Pension rollover contribution to IRA

I did a rollover from a pension plan with my previous employer to my Traditional IRA.  On Form 5498 from the IRA custodian, it shows this rollover contribution amount on line 2.  However, I did not receive a 1099-R.  Do I need to report this rollover amount on my tax return?  If so, where does that go?  Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

A direct trustee to trustee rollover is not reported on a tax return so you will not receive a Form 1099-R.

bln
Level 2

Thank you!

dmertz
Level 15

Assuming that the employer plan is not a SEP or SIMPLE IRA plan, the plan was required to issue a Form 1099-R for the rollover to the IRA.  This Form 1099-R is required to be reported on your tax return.  A direct rollover must have code G in box 7 of the Form 1099-R.

Because the Form 5498 show receipt of a rollover, there must be a corresponding Form 1099-R.

bln
Level 2

The company's website says that the pension plan is a defined benefit pension plan under ERISA.  It is a very large, well known oil & gas company so I would fully expect them to send any required forms.

If I don't have the form from the company, do I simply fill out 1099-R to the best of my ability since I know the rollover amount?

@bln - no - don't create it on your own.  Contact the adminsitrator and request it (or ask why they are not issuing one)  

dmertz
Level 15

"The company's website says that the pension plan is a defined benefit pension plan under ERISA."

In that case, the plan was definitely required to issue a Form 1099-R for the distribution that was rolled over to the IRA.  As NCperson said, contact the plan to obtain the missing form.

Maybe if you can still log into your pension plan you can download the 1099R pdf.  

bln
Level 2

I was thinking the same thing but no luck. I plan on calling this week to get more info and hopefully the form. Thanks all!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies