Solved: Pay owed taxes while waiting for ITIN

Pay owed taxes while waiting for ITIN

I currently owe federal taxes and have submitted my 1040 along with my spouses W-7 form (ITIN number request). Unfortunately I have not received a response from IRS and will more than likely not have the ITIN number before this years due date. When processing to pay taxes online, there’s a box to enter the ITIN number if filling jointly. Should I proceed to pay leaving this blank? Should I file for an extension? Should I wait until the ITIN is received to pay even if it’s after the final day?

Pay owed taxes while waiting for ITIN

DO NOT WAIT. If you owe, the tax is due April 17th. Even if you file an extension, there will be interest added to the tax due. If you are able to pay online leaving the ITIN box blank, do that. If not, mail the amount in with a voucher, or your information listed on the check. 

Pay owed taxes while waiting for ITIN

Pay owed taxes while waiting for ITIN

When paying with credit card it is required to enter ITIN number when filling jointly. With pay direct (bank account) it’s only required to register the SSN of the primary individual when filling jointly. Proceeded with direct pay in order to avoid any issues.