turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eshung

Pay owed taxes while waiting for ITIN

I currently owe federal taxes and have submitted my 1040 along with my spouses W-7 form (ITIN number request). Unfortunately I have not received a response from IRS and will more than likely not have the ITIN number before this years due date. When processing to pay taxes online, there’s a box to enter the ITIN number if filling jointly. Should I proceed to pay leaving this blank? Should I file for an extension? Should I wait until the ITIN is received to pay even if it’s after the final day?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

DO NOT WAIT. If you owe, the tax is due April 17th. Even if you file an extension, there will be interest added to the tax due. If you are able to pay online leaving the ITIN box blank, do that. If not, mail the amount in with a voucher, or your information listed on the check. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

DO NOT WAIT. If you owe, the tax is due April 17th. Even if you file an extension, there will be interest added to the tax due. If you are able to pay online leaving the ITIN box blank, do that. If not, mail the amount in with a voucher, or your information listed on the check. 

eshung

When paying with credit card it is required to enter ITIN number when filling jointly. With pay direct (bank account) it’s only required to register the SSN of the primary individual when filling jointly. Proceeded with direct pay in order to avoid any issues.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies