njjak246

OVERTIME KILLING ME?

I expect to have an income of 53350 Gross for next years return (2017).  I have the option of working overtime to increase my income to 60,550.  HOWEVER I see when I pass the 50,000 of taxable income, I suddenly lose my Earned Income tax credit for my kids AND I end up having to pay!  SO....question is...is it worth it for me to do the overtime?- Or am I working extra for nothing?  I file Head Of Household and will have a 7 year old dependent I will claim next year.  My daughter will be 19 and NOT a full time student, so I don't believe I will be able to claim her...or will I?  Please advise before I bust my hump for nothing! 🙂  Thanks!

ChristinaS

OVERTIME KILLING ME?

The Earned Income Credit isn't all or nothing. The credit is a horseshoe shaped scale, and the credit would be small at $53,350 anyway.

You will ultimately have more income (aka more money in your pocket), taxes and tax credits included, but making the extra $7000. If you want to turn down extra money, don't do it because of taxes. That would be silly.

ChristinaS

OVERTIME KILLING ME?

njjak246

OVERTIME KILLING ME?

Thank you for the clarification, I was confused by the jump in taxes owed and the tax percentage increase....I didn't know if I would end up losing more than I was making initially... Any idea how much the ball park difference in pocket income would be roughly....? I wouldn't want to do all the extra time for only a couple hundred in my pocket after higher level deductions....
ChristinaS

OVERTIME KILLING ME?

Well, it really depends on the entirety of your tax situation and I'm not privy to everything about you. But lets say you are taxed an extra 15% in taxes on that extra 7000, maybe another 3% for your state, plus another  7.5% for payroll tax (SS, Medicare). and then say $300-$400 lost in tax credits.So, roughly speaking, you'd pocket $4800 ish from that extra income. You'd still be ahead, but would time away from your family be worth it?
njjak246

OVERTIME KILLING ME?

I Live in FL so no state tax.  The Annual Salary from the school including overtime is 50200.  The additional income of 10,350 is NOT pre-taxed and comes from being the President of a 501(c) Charity.  Does that change the amount I'm taxed??? I've heard they take out more if its untaxed income that is earned.  Sorry, I'm an idiot with numbers and have no idea how this stuff works.....lol