Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Over paid/billed

I have used turbotax for MANY years.  I have always bought the pkg at sams or downloaded it.  Always the version that runs about $49.  This year I was unemployed (retired 68years old) and basically only had social security income.  I sold my home, but did not come close to the 250,000 cap for filing.  when going thru the (what I thought was the free edition) it came out that my return was "$0", which I expected.  I get to the end to file it, and have a bill of $128.  I could not file until paid.  I then looked up on irs site, and technically I don't have to file, but I am not really comfortable with that.  How can I get this amount taken off so my taxes can be filed.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Over paid/billed

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/review-fees-turbo...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for removing fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/01/26051

The TurboTax Free online edition is for very simple tax returns that do not require any other form or schedule other than the Form 1040.  If your tax data requires entry on any other form or schedule then you must upgrade to the Deluxe edition or higher.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2022 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Over paid/billed

Use one of the IRS FREE FILE options instead of paying anyone for a free return: 

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Over paid/billed

You cannot report the sale of your home in TurboTax Free Edition. The sale of a home is beyond a very simple tax return. However, if you did not receive a Form 1099-S for the sale, and your gain was less than the $250,000 exclusion, you do not have to report the sale.

If you want to file a tax return, even though you are not required to, and you do not have to report the sale of your home, you could just enter your Social Security income and file the tax return with Free Edition. However, you said you "basically" had only Social Security income. I take that to mean that you also had some other income, although it might have been only a small amount. You didn't say what other kinds of income you had, so we can't tell whether Free Edition would handle it. If you file a tax return, you have to report all your income, even if you don't have to pay any tax. Depending on the type of income you had, you might or might not be able to use TurboTax Free Edition.

Over paid/billed

Unfortunately, the pricing structure of Turbotax online is very different from the pricing for the desktop version (installed on your own Mac or PC).  It sounds like you used the desktop version in the past but the online version this year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies