Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Or W2s have no verification code in Box 9. Turbo Tax won't efile without it. What do we do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Or W2s have no verification code in Box 9. Turbo Tax won't efile without it. What do we do?

Are you getting an error message when you try to e-file by leaving the box blank? You should be able to leave it blank if your W-2 doesn't have one and e-file. Make sure you are not inputting anything into that box and then submit. 

**If you are still receiving an error message when left blank, comment with error message here. 

This is something new the IRS is testing out for 2018, so not all W-2’s will have one. Please see here IRS Expands W-2 Verification Code for Filing Season 2018 for more on verification codes on the IRS’s website. Per IRS: "Taxpayers without a verification code on their Form(s) W-2 may leave the verification code box blank in their tax software product."

What if the verification code box on my W-2 is empty?

I found another answer on this issue.  They said to delete the W2 entry and then re-enter it.  I did and it worked.  Weird.

Thanks for the update @jaimearroz and I'll be sure to pass this along.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies