Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joseph-r-moussa
Returning Member

On May 14, I made my Federal Tax Liability payment through Turbo Tax at the same time that I initiated a request for an extension.

UPDATE: It is now July 27th and payment has still not been made out of my account.

I am now being told by the IRS that they do not see my payment.

How will Turbo Tax assist with this issue?

On May 14, I made my Federal Tax Liability payment through Turbo Tax at the same time that I initiated a request for an extension.

I received a screenshot clearly stating the following: "Your payment of $XXX was successfully sent to the IRS".

I am not seeing the payment being taken out of my Bank Account as of yet.

When I called Turbo Tax, I was told that Turbo Tax would have NO WAY of checking on their end of the payment was actually sent successfully to the IRS, or even having any way of seeing I filled for an extension through the Turbo Tax website.

I am worried the payment may have no gone through.

I just want to confirm with Turbo Tax whether they can check to see if my payment request actually went to the IRS, and if not, what the best way I can check myself.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The IRS is backlogged and is not able to process returns/payments as quickly as they have been able to process them in normal times.   They do want your payment and will debit your account when they process your return—it just might not happen on the date you requested.  Keep the funds available in your account and watch for the withdrawal.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
joseph-r-moussa
Returning Member

I still have yet to see payment out of my account and the IRS is stating they don't see the payment made via Turbo Tax, what are the next steps at this stage?

Once the IRS gets to processing  the return  the payment information will be used by the IRS to make the payment.   TT only sends the debit info you entered to the taxing authority and has no other responsibility in the process.   If you entered the correct banking info then it is up to the IRS to complete the transaction.

So was the extension  successfully efiled ?   And did you enter the correct payment information ?

You can access your IRS tax account for your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments - https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

joseph-r-moussa
Returning Member

Here are my replies to your responses:

1. "TT only sends the debit info you entered to the taxing authority and has no other responsibility in the process" - This is the most important part of the process. If TT did not send the information, then the IRS does not have it and payment can't be processed. It just can't be assumed this process was done correctly. What I also find interesting is how TT tells me that they can't even go back and check if the information was sent to the IRS, so even the "only responsibility" they have in the process they can't even validate on their end.

2. Banking information - As explained above, without TT confirming this process was done, how do I even check if the banking information entered was correct?

3. Yes, I successfully filled my extension with the IRS, and the IRS did process it. My payment was made within TT along with my extension request. And yes, I did enter the correct payment information.

4. I do have access to my Federal account and there are no pending or scheduled payments. This falls in line with the IRS making it clear to me they have no payment requests on their side.

With that being said, if TT did indeed send my debit information to the IRS, I should have nothing to worry about.

How can TT show me that this occurred? If they are allowing filers to indeed input this option, they should have controls in place to track that the information was successfully sent to the IRS. I need that confirmation in order to protect myself against future penalty.

Based on what I see on this forum, TurboTax is not a very reliable service.

Personally, I always go directly to the IRS "make a payment" page and do it myself.

If you now go to the IRS to make a 2020 payment it is possible that they will process the requested extension payment as well so you will have paid twice.  And since there is no processed return that may not be possible.

When you filed the extension TT did send everything you entered ... it doesn't choose to send only part of it so check what you entered ...    

If you used the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file the extension request, Form 4868, and make the tax payment with the request, the payment should already entered on your tax return. Provided you used the same user ID for the 2020 online tax return as was used to use Easy Extension. You can check to see if the amount is on your tax return by clicking on Tax Tools on the lefts side of the screen. Then click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Then click on Preview my 1040.

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies