Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On import of my w2 Box 'd' will not take the info it turn rad and say this Make sure this info exactly matches what's in box D, including spaces but the number is right

this is the same number from last year. thanks for your help.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

On import of my w2 Box 'd' will not take the info it turn rad and say this Make sure this info exactly matches what's in box D, including spaces but the number is right

You really don't need a control number, it's sometimes used by companies internally. 

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890).  

On the other hand, if you're trying to import your W-2 with a blank Box D, click skip import and then manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

My employer only provided 5 total digits in box D.

The workaround of entering an arbitrary number in the ##### ##### format makes the field checker happy but results in failing to import.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you are unable to import your w2, you will need to type it in manually. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies