Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

OK, so, I got a 1099K from Paypal. But I can't figure out how to enter it - it's 99% just from selling personal items, not from self-employment. What do I do in TT?

turbotax Deluxe only allows entry for 1099-K but nowhere to enter information 

turbotax Premier walks you through everything 

the big question is if there is a work around using turbotax deluxe

OK, so, I got a 1099K from Paypal. But I can't figure out how to enter it - it's 99% just from selling personal items, not from self-employment. What do I do in TT?

how to do this on Deluxe edition

that is enter all the details of the sales 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

1099-K entry may require different versions of TurboTax.

Personal item sales uses minimum of Premier.

Self-employment, farm uses minimum of Self-employed.

Graphical user interface, text, application, chat or text message, email

Description automatically generated

The January 27, 2023 IRS update (page 87) permits the use of IRS form 8949 / Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses to report Personal item sales. 

@stantonporsche  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the work around in turbotax deluxe is to enter info on stocks, bonds section

enter code F for long term sales not provided on 1099-B 

(assume long term item sold)

it treats person item as a stock I believe but you can give description of the item

this will generate a 8949 

Also to generate on line 8z schedule 1,

Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C

enter two items

person item at loss: 200

person item at loss : -200

this will put both items at zero on line 8z but I guess you can manually enter 200 

the issue is with line 24z( turbotax cannot generate number here to offset) 

wondering if can manually enter 200 on line 24z

but will this cause filing issues or program issues 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You are reporting Income in the Investments section (as shown in screenshot above).   

To offset this income on your tax return (if you actually sold personal items at a loss), only make the negative entry in the Miscellaneous Income section.  

Here's more info on 1099-K for Personal Item Sales. 

@stantonporsche

but how do you get Turbotax to generate number on line 24z to offset number that generates on line 8z?

if the amount is large like say $50,000

just putting this number down on schedule 1 , might raise eyebrows from IRS because no explanation on the items other than saying : " Form(s) 1099-K items sold at a loss". 

wondering if much better to enter info on 8949 since more details on the losses 

If you just put negative entry in miscellaneous, turbotax sees it as a loss and enters money owed to you 

but you cannot take deduction on loss from person property 

only way to fix this is to put same entry but positive number as well 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Your positive entry goes in the Investments section, under Wages & Income.

Type '1099-K' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1099-k' to get to this section. 

@stantonporsche  

dcolucci13
Returning Member

In 2021 TurboTax said you do NOT need to enter 1099-K info if it was self employment income (sales) as you would instead list the income (sales) on Schedule C.  But this year this TT has changed and asks if you have 1099-Ks and then choose if it is for self employment income, but when I do that, AND list my self employment sales, its double counting.  

So, is it ok to NOT to list individual 1099-Ks I got (paypal, ebay, etsy) for my self employment business and JUST list my sales in the Schedule C like in 2021 ?  I assume this is correct.  Please advise and thanks!

@MarilynG1 @JamesG1 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is OK to not list the individual 1099-Ks to record the income that you received. As long as you do enter it for the Schedule C income, it will be fine. The IRS matches income and you will have entered the amounts from your K-1s.

@dcolucci13 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies