Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 15

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

READ the info posted at this time ... more info to come :  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax.

How can I file the tax return needed to receive my economic impact payment?

IRS.gov/coronavirus will soon provide information instructing people in these groups on how to file a 2019 tax return with simple, but necessary, information including their filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information.

Highlighted
Level 15

FYI .... this is an advance on a 2020 credit so for those who do not get the money now you can file a 2020 return next tax season to get the credit.   

And if you get too much credit in advance you will not be required to repay it .... AND if you do not get enough you will get it on the 2020 return.  

So bottom line is be patient and check the IRS site every so often to see what the current directions are ... remember they are dealing with the tax season along with the unusual stimulus bill all while dealing with a global health crisis.  They are doing the best they can. 

Highlighted
Level 1

Hello

I am 70 years old single retiree, and my only income of the year comes from Social Security Administration. Because my annual income is BELOW file threshold, and I decide not to file my tax return for both Year 2018 & 2019. My last file happened on Year 2017.

Here is my question, will I still eligible to get “coronavirus stimulus payment” even I do NOT file (because I do not Require to file) both Year 2018 & 2019 ?    By the way, I still keep the same bank account which I provided on my 2017 tax return, in case IRS need for direct deposit.

Thanks

Highlighted
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are still eligible and will receive a stimulus payment.  IRS.gov/coronavirus will soon provide information instructing people who are otherwise not required to file a tax return, on how to file a 2019 tax return with simple, but necessary, information including their filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Highlighted
Level 1

Thanks for your response, David. Do you mean in order to get payment,  I will still have to file 2019 “simple” tax return which including my filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information ?

In addition,  due to coronavirus, have IRS AUTOMATICALLY extended deadline of 2020 “federal” tax return to July 15th without filing any request form ?  Also, I live@New York City, I just wonder does NYC extend “state” level tax due day to July 15th as well ?

Thanks again

Highlighted
Expert Alumni

It is my understanding that as things stand now, social security recipients that have not filed a tax return will have to file in order to receive a stimulus check.  This very well may change in the near future - it's been less than a week since the bill was passed and signed into law.  The IRS has extended the April 15 deadline to July 15.  No extension request has to be filed.  New York follows IRS filing deadlines, so when the IRS extended their deadline, the New York deadline was automatically extended as well. 

Highlighted

I am a 23 year old who works full time but I still live at home. Am I eligible for the $1,200 stimulus check if I can still be claimed and on my parents health insurance?

Highlighted
Expert Alumni

Your health insurance has nothing to do with your stimulus payment eligibility.  If you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else, you are not eligible.  If you work full time and are not a student, then you probably aren't eligible to be claimed by someone else, which means you will get a stimulus payment.  If you were claimed as a dependent for 2018 and you haven't yet filed 2019 indicating that no one else can claim you, you will probably not receive a payment until you file.

Highlighted
Returning Member

Let me get the facts straight: I was unemployed 2018 and 2019 but I believed my parents claimed me as a dependent.  Since I was unemployed I did not file a tax form for 2018 and 2019. 

Am I still eligible for the stimulus check? And for safety measure, I just file a free turbo tax federal and state so they have my info and address on file.  

What is my best course of action to be eligible for the stimulus check?  Thank you for taking your time to read this. 

Highlighted
Level 15

Highlighted
Level 15

Ok ... if you were claimed as a dependent you will NOT get the check NOW ... if you work in 2020 and you are not a dependent then you MAY get it on the 2020 return.  

Not sure how you could efile a zero income return ... but if you did and you were already claimed then expect the return to be rejected.  

Highlighted
Returning Member

It's zero income because I was unemployed 2018 and 2019.  So I have no source of income to be taxed in the first place. 

Also I read somewhere it's good to file my taxes anyways because now the IRS have my address on file so that I can receive the stimulus check.  I also verified with my parents they never claim me as a dependent so that's another good news. 

Going forward should I mail in my tax return with 0 income? And have my address on file for the stimulus check?  Thank you

Highlighted

My mother (61) adopted 2 special needs boys a while back and her only income is the adoption money she gets.  She doesn't file because this isn't taxable money.  How can she be sure to get a stimulus check?

Highlighted
Level 1

Wondering about the same thing that vucci was talking about.

My brother was unemployed the last 2 years, not a dependent, and would file a zero income tax return.

Should he still put the paperwork together using TurboTax and mail it in (since E-file wouldn't work) for a chance at a stimulus check?

(He's not on unemployment or SS)

Highlighted
Level 15

v
Privacy Settings