Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

NY State tax calculation error 2023

Thanks for the extra information. I have gone back through the NY return itemized deductions for line 33, using the IT 196 instructions. I am using an actual return that received a letter. In the program, we have the It-196 and the line 40 (Item Dedns Wks) worksheet. We don't have line 41worksheet 2 or line 47 worksheet 3 so I did them manually and still got answers matching the IT-196 generated by the program.

I can't determine where the issue lies between NY and TurboTax calculations as ours seem to match the instructions.

@TaxNovice24 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC in my case, IT-196 has entry for lines 5,6,9,10,15,16,19,40,41,42, 45,46,47 and 49; fairly generic deductions. NY IRS difference is about $100 for line 47. I called the Tax office for more information on how line 47 was computed but they didn’t give any details. Since the discrepancy is not significant, I’m not going to dispute this. 

I am at loss as how NY IRS is doing these calculations and seems like quite a few Turbo Tax  customers are experiencing this same calculation in issue. 

My Accurate Guarantee Claim #36165, if you want to look at details. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

We don't have a worksheet showing for line 47 so I could only use the instructions from NY. This is getting odder and odder. Hopefully, that team can determine if there is an issue. If so, they can get it moved into the right hands. Thanks for the update!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies