Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ice888

NRA receive money from abroad, tax filing question

My family member is a non resident alien, a foreigner who doesn’t live in US but has a bank and brokerage account in US for investment. He received wire transfer over 100k from a family member in the home country within a year, does he need to report this on FORM 3520 as gift like US person ? 

A more general question is that if NRA needs to report at all to the IRS the money from abroad that are sent by the third party a family or a friend(not the NRA himself)? This money is not US sourced income.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Ice888  money transfers  between NRAs, even if  into accounts owned and operated by NRA does not come under the aegis of US tax laws.  However, the US sourced income ( i.e. growth of the investment  ) is taxable  income to the NRA  ( assuming the person does have a Tax ID ).  The transfer  into an US account  ( whether owned by a US person ( citizen/GreenCard/ Resident for Tax Purposes ) will result in  SAR ( Suspicious Activity Report ) as a matter of course.

There is no  3520 or Gift Tax form required.

Is there more I can do for you ?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I will page Champ @pk. Please check back later.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Ice888  money transfers  between NRAs, even if  into accounts owned and operated by NRA does not come under the aegis of US tax laws.  However, the US sourced income ( i.e. growth of the investment  ) is taxable  income to the NRA  ( assuming the person does have a Tax ID ).  The transfer  into an US account  ( whether owned by a US person ( citizen/GreenCard/ Resident for Tax Purposes ) will result in  SAR ( Suspicious Activity Report ) as a matter of course.

There is no  3520 or Gift Tax form required.

Is there more I can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies