turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I owe tax on my Fed & Ga. refunds? If so, would applying some or all of the refund to upcoming estimated tax help?

We're self employed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Will I owe tax on my Fed & Ga. refunds? If so, would applying some or all of the refund to upcoming estimated tax help?

No, your Federal and State refunds are not taxable income on your Federal tax return. Some states, however, do tax certain refunds.

Applying your refund to next year is only useful if you believe you won't pay enough tax during the year to cover your taxable income. Generally, it's better to receive a refund and invest the money until next year. That way, you earn the interest on the money instead of loaning it to Uncle Sam.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

No, your Federal and State refunds are not taxable income on your Federal tax return. Some states, however, do tax certain refunds.

Applying your refund to next year is only useful if you believe you won't pay enough tax during the year to cover your taxable income. Generally, it's better to receive a refund and invest the money until next year. That way, you earn the interest on the money instead of loaning it to Uncle Sam.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies