turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pinay1021

My chapter 7 bankruptcy case was discharged in January 2016. Do I have to do anything or file a special form in addition to my regular 1040?

Discharged Ch 7 Bankruptcy in January 2016. No Assets Case.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelMc

My chapter 7 bankruptcy case was discharged in January 2016. Do I have to do anything or file a special form in addition to my regular 1040?

No. You have received a "fresh start" from the Court. You should file your 2016 federal and state tax returns normally.

The IRS offers the following guidance:

"At the conclusion of your Chapter 7 bankruptcy you will receive a discharge of debt. A discharge releases you (the debtor) from personal liability for certain dischargeable debts. Some taxes may be dischargeable. Whether a federal tax debt may be discharged depends on the unique facts and circumstances of each case. Consult your bankruptcy attorney to determine which tax debts may be discharged."

For more information, please see the U.S. Courts Bankruptcy Basics Web page, particularly "The Chapter 7 Discharge."

start my issue to IRS, when they sent me a letter that in 2016 . I have income of 35,500 that I did not report it on my income tax 2016, until now im still dealing with this, now I amend the 2016 tax , I haven't mail it yet , on my amend I included that money 35500 as my income actually came from investment , took it one in a time to pay medical bills , my return in 2016, 1500 refund to me , my amended I have close to 7000 refund, yOU think IRS WILL TAKE THAT

NOT YET I DONT THINK I HAVENT HAD IT YET

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies