turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

odoty94

In box 17 of my 1099-MISC, there is no number under "State/payer's state no." Do I need that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

In box 17 of my 1099-MISC, there is no number under "State/payer's state no." Do I need that?

No, you don't need this information unless your 1099-MISC shows you paid state withholding tax on these earnings.  This is a very rare occurrence, so the information is seldom provided.

RAYADOS10

Hi so I dont need that number 

HRGuru

This Form W-2 is for a legal settlement between a long-time-ago, former employer in a claim, "Read v. AppleOne Business Solutions Settlement Case."  There is no State ID listed.  And if I'm understanding correctly, I don't need a state ID, but now I have an "Error" coming up, and I can't e-file, because it's missing this information.  It's a settlement that yielded $2.08.  I was trying to be conscientious, and include it, but it's throwing everything off.  What do I do.  I really don't want to file by mail, and I already paid for everything.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Do not enter anything in the state section boxes 15-17 of your W-2. Be sure you have not even included the state abbreviation. This should resolve the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies