turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As an ebay / online marketplace sole proprietor, can I charge a handling fee expense on my taxes to compensate for packaging and time required to take to the shipper?

As a sole proprietor who exclusively sells online, how do I deduct on my taxes for the time required for listing products for sale, preparing products for shipping, hand delivering packages to the shipper, since I do not have a salary?  

Can I charge an internal handling fee for each item sold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

As an ebay / online marketplace sole proprietor, can I charge a handling fee expense on my taxes to compensate for packaging and time required to take to the shipper?

No, you cannot include a business expense to compensate for the time it takes to run your business.  Your 'salary' is the leftover profit from the business.

You can deduct the cost of shipping supplies and packaging materials, along with the miles that you drove taking the packages to the shipper (as long as you kept records of the miles driven).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, you cannot include a business expense to compensate for the time it takes to run your business.  Your 'salary' is the leftover profit from the business.

You can deduct the cost of shipping supplies and packaging materials, along with the miles that you drove taking the packages to the shipper (as long as you kept records of the miles driven).

Thank you!
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies