turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sweber

Where do I enter Box#6 domestic production activities deduction from form 1099 PATR on the 1040 2018 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Where do I enter Box#6 domestic production activities deduction from form 1099 PATR on the 1040 2018 tax return?

You will have to report it on line 36 of your Schedule 1. This usually flows from Form 8903, but TurboTax does not support Form 8903. So here what you will need to do:

1) Use TurboTax Desktop (TTD) version, not TurboTax Online.
2) Use this form to fill it out manually https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8903.pdf
3) Then open your tax file in TTD and go to Forms - top left corner for Mac users and top right corner for Win users.
4) On the left where all the forms are listed, find 1040 Wks.
5) Scroll down to line 36 and right above it, you will see a Worksheet.
6) Add DPAD description in line H. 
7) Put the amount from line 25 of your Form 8903 (see step 2).
😎 Enter the amount. 

You will have to file by paper since Form 8903 must be attached to your return and it is not part of TurboTax. 

Here are a couple of links that will help you with logistics:

Purchase TTD https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ (Even Basic version will work for your purposes).

Download your tax file from TurboTax Online to TTD https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gbirchler22
Returning Member

Can I upgrade software so I can still file on-line?
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

It's not about upgrade. It's about being able to access the Forms mode. And that can be done only in the Desktop version.
gbirchler22
Returning Member

I understand that & I know how to access forms mode (I use the desktop version), but you indicated I could not file electronically. I thought I read somewhere else that I would have to upgrade to TT Business? I filed DPAD last year using TT Deluxe and now it's not there. Thanks for helping me through this.
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

No, not need to upgrade if you are using a Desktop version. You can do the above steps in any version. TT Business is only to prepare entity returns: Forms 1120, 1120S, 1065, etc.
gbirchler22
Returning Member

But I'm still unclear on the requirement to paper file that you mentioned. Is there any way to do this where I can file electronically?
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

I wish. TurboTax doesn't support form 8903. But it needs to be part of the return. You cannot attach a pdf to your return and e-file (professional software does it). So the only option is to prepare 8903 by hand. Then take amount from line 25 and add it to your Schedule 1 in Forms mode. Print, include your 8903 and mail.  
gbirchler22
Returning Member

OK - One more question; it was included last year and I e-filed. How come it's no longer available/included?
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Change in tax law (particularly, sec 199)  affected the availability.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not make sense. It is the same form and the same lines this is a software issue please fix
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

You'll be amazed, but even professional software does not include this form anymore.
dlbaude

Bait and switch. I want a refund
Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 8903 is available in TurboTax Desktop.

Form 8903 will open in TurboTax Desktop Forms Mode.  
In Windows, Go to Forms Mode.
Click on "Open Form"
Type "8903" + Enter.
Click Once on "Form 8903: Domestic Production Activities Deduction."
Click On Open Form
Scroll down to Line 23 and Enter a Sample/Dummy Amount, like $1.00 and press Enter.
This will now populate Form 8903 in Forms Mode.

If Form 8903 is calculating and flowing properly,
The 1040 wks Line 36, Line H above it should now have "Form 8903" followed by it's dollar value.
Since Form 8903 falls under Schedule 1, Schedule 1, Line 36 should now also report "Form 8903"
Then on Form 1040, Line 7 should reflect Form 8903 calculation as well.
This will confirm that Form 8903 is available in TurboTax Desktop.
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Good! Must have been the recent update. Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies