turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm on disability and my adult autistic son is on ssi, would I be able to collect a tax refund as head of house hold and my son as a dependant?

I make 1,100.00 a month on disability and my son earns 700.00 a month on ssi. His food bill is at least 150.00 a week that's 600.00 a month, his hair cuts are 40.00 a month, clothes and shoes are 1,000.00 a year, sheets and bedding, pillows and replacement furniture is at least 1,000.00 a year. An adult swing set cost 400.00, his pets include a dog, 2 cats and a Ginnie pig. All their food, cages, blankets, bedding, bowls, flea collas, wormer meds,  and Vet visits cost at the least 1600,00 a year. House hold bills come to about 800.00 a month. That includes car payment and car insurance, but house insurance is seprate and costs 600.00 a year. Then there is his books, internet and phone and lap top. Internet out in the country is 60.00 a month. He always gets good birthday and Christmas gifts. I am going to stop here and as you can see, I'm almost always over budget.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm on disability and my adult autistic son is on ssi, would I be able to collect a tax refund as head of house hold and my son as a dependant?

No. None of those expenses are deductible. They are personal living expense and none of them are deductible. None at all. You get a tax refund only if you pay in more taxes than you owe. If you pay in no taxes, then there is nothing to be refunded. Nothing at all.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No. None of those expenses are deductible. They are personal living expense and none of them are deductible. None at all. You get a tax refund only if you pay in more taxes than you owe. If you pay in no taxes, then there is nothing to be refunded. Nothing at all.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies