Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No income. Why return third stimulus payment?

I am amending 2021 1040 with TurboTax desktop.  I originally received the third stimulus of $1,400. 

In both original filing and amended, I had zero income from all sources.  My original AGI was 0 and my amended AGI is negative $23,000.  I'm even carrying a capital loss, and had no capital gains whatsoever. 

With amendment, TurboTax concludes that I must return the $1,400 stimulus!

Why? What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Why are you amending the 2021 tax return if you had no income from any source in 2021?  The EIP3 does not have to be returned if you were not a dependent on someone else's tax return in 2021.

I have a startup business in an SMLLC that I intend to close.  It has accumulated NOLs, and has never made revenue.  I need to file amendments to stay current in order to close the LLC.

You should not be completing the Recovery Rebate Credit section of the amended return since you have already received EIP3.

Thank you @DoninGA and agreed!  I've been trying to override the section below in TurboTax Home & Business 2021. Is this possible, or is there a better solution?

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 1.38.57 PM.jpg

I'll page one of our members who may be able to assist @tagteam 

Really not anywhere up to speed on the recovery rebates and the like, so I'll page @Mike9241

What did you have on the original 1040 return line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit?   It should have been 0 or blank.   Did you have any refund or tax due on the original return?  

Thank you @VolvoGirl !  It was blank. And there was no refund, or tax due on the original.

My original 1040 was prepared using a free web-based, non-TurboTax, program.  That program did not allow me to amend, so I switched to TurboTax desktop 2021 and, according to threads in this community, recreated the original in order to amend with TurboTax desktop.

In either case, line 30 was blank, and there was no refund, or tax due on the original.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies