Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No Federal income tax was withheld on my 1099b

I sold some stock that resulted in almost $8K, but no tax was withheld.  I assumed entering my 1099b with zero tax withheld would decrease my fed refund by a sizable amount to pay the tax, but it doesn't look like it has.  How can I check?  Have I entered something incorrectly?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No Federal income tax was withheld on my 1099b

No, you don't necessarily have an error in your entries and it is common to not have refund decreased.   Capital gains are taxed based on your ordinary income tax bracket. The tax rate on most net capital gain is no higher than 15% for most taxpayers. Some or all of your net capital gain may be taxed at 0% if you're in the 10% or 15% ordinary income tax brackets. It sounds that it is your situation. 

As to how to check that... you can preview your Form 1040 before you file or before you pay for the program; take a look at line 13, form 1040 - that is your capital gain/loss; then at page 2, line 43. Right below it there is a Tax Smart Worksheet- it should show line 5 checked, it means your tax is calculated based on your capital Gain Tax worksheet, which very often may result in nontaxable treatment of your net capital gains.

1. From My account drop down, select Tools (you must be logged into your tax return and IN your tax return - you may have to select Take to my return or Pick up when I left off orange button)
  2. Select View Tax Summary
  3. Select Preview my 1040 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies