• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SummerBreazer
Level 1

NJ resident filling PA nonresident return, which W2 do I delete?

I am an NJ resident that earned income in PA in 2019.  My employer withheld taxes in PA so I am filling to reclaim this money.  

My questions is on the compensation summary screen for PA, it shows that I had a W2 for NJ and a W2 for PA for an identical amount.  

I have the options of either deleting these W2s or marking them as exempt from PA taxes.  I think I need to mark the NJ one as exempt and delete the PA one but I am not certain.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Expert Alumni

It depends.

You may need to review your input in the federal section of the program as follows to ensure the W-2 wages are only reported once.

To enter your W-2 information, go to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)
  3. Click Edit/Add to the right of the Job (W-2) 

Make sure you enter the correct state and wages in boxes 15-17 of your input on the W-2 section.  This would be the only area where your wages should be entered. 

Depending upon your W-2 form, you can simply select the option to Add another row if you have separate lines for New Jersey and Pennsylvania as shown in the sample below.

State wages

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Expert Alumni

It depends.

You may need to review your input in the federal section of the program as follows to ensure the W-2 wages are only reported once.

To enter your W-2 information, go to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)
  3. Click Edit/Add to the right of the Job (W-2) 

Make sure you enter the correct state and wages in boxes 15-17 of your input on the W-2 section.  This would be the only area where your wages should be entered. 

Depending upon your W-2 form, you can simply select the option to Add another row if you have separate lines for New Jersey and Pennsylvania as shown in the sample below.

State wages

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v