SummerBreazer

NJ resident filling PA nonresident return, which W2 do I delete?

I am an NJ resident that earned income in PA in 2019.  My employer withheld taxes in PA so I am filling to reclaim this money.  

My questions is on the compensation summary screen for PA, it shows that I had a W2 for NJ and a W2 for PA for an identical amount.  

I have the options of either deleting these W2s or marking them as exempt from PA taxes.  I think I need to mark the NJ one as exempt and delete the PA one but I am not certain.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  

JotikaT2

It depends.

You may need to review your input in the federal section of the program as follows to ensure the W-2 wages are only reported once.

To enter your W-2 information, go to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)
  3. Click Edit/Add to the right of the Job (W-2) 

Make sure you enter the correct state and wages in boxes 15-17 of your input on the W-2 section.  This would be the only area where your wages should be entered. 

Depending upon your W-2 form, you can simply select the option to Add another row if you have separate lines for New Jersey and Pennsylvania as shown in the sample below.

State wages

JotikaT2

It depends.

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)

State wages