Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will next year turbo work on my new computer which transferred 2016 taxes to but doesn't have 2016 program downloaded?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will next year turbo work on my new computer which transferred 2016 taxes to but doesn't have 2016 program downloaded?

Next year, when you install the 2017 program onto your new computer, you will be able to use the 2016 file (.tax2016) to "jumpstart" your 2017 return (i.e. transfer over all the information to pre-fill it out) without having the 2016 program downloaded onto your computer.

However, you won't be able to directly open the .tax2016 file without the 2016 program installed on your computer.  Hopefully, you also saved a pdf of the return and you should copy that to your new computer also so you can view a pdf of your 2016 return at any time.  If you still have the 2016 program (either CD or Download), then you are allowed to install it on more than one computer, so you should install it on your new computer just in case you ever need it. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Next year, when you install the 2017 program onto your new computer, you will be able to use the 2016 file (.tax2016) to "jumpstart" your 2017 return (i.e. transfer over all the information to pre-fill it out) without having the 2016 program downloaded onto your computer.

However, you won't be able to directly open the .tax2016 file without the 2016 program installed on your computer.  Hopefully, you also saved a pdf of the return and you should copy that to your new computer also so you can view a pdf of your 2016 return at any time.  If you still have the 2016 program (either CD or Download), then you are allowed to install it on more than one computer, so you should install it on your new computer just in case you ever need it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies