turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

New Jersey resident working in Philadelphia. I have a W2 and 1099 Misc.

If the employer withheld the city tax, and they should have, you don't need to file a city return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much. This is the “best answer “, coupled with the prior one. Take care and be safe!

Hi.  I am a CA resident and spent a few days in Philadelphia for work.  My company issued me my normal W-2 with my federal and CA state tax info, and a separate one with just the PA/Philadelphia info (only boxes 15-20 are filled out).  I tried to complete the non-resident return for PA, but I don't see where to enter the state taxes that were withheld.  Turbotax says I owe the same amount that was withheld.  The only place I can enter taxes paid is in the miscellaneous income section.  Also, what do I do about the local taxes for Philadelphia?  My company also withheld the local taxes, so I don't think I owe anything.  Do I have to file in Philadelphia too?

jrrd

Similar situation but no multiple W-2's. 

Work in Philadelphia, resident of New Jersey. I only received a federal W-2. Box 15 is blank. Box 16 is 0. Box 17 is 0. Box 18 and 19 have numbers. Box 20 says PHILA. For the New Jersey tax credit, I reported my double-taxed income as the number in Box 18 and the tax credit as the number in Box 19. 

I just want to make sure this is correct or should I have received another W-2. Thanks for your help! 

When employers send multiple W-2's for the same job, it is because of the way that their software is configurated.  You are correct in using the numbers from PA to avoid double taxation on your income.

NJ and PA have a reciprocity agreement and you residents of one state working in the other only pay taxes to their state of residence.

@jrrd

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies