turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

updates

I don't know who made the decision, but I've been advised that not everyone inside Intuit agrees with this odd change in policy.  I spent over 20 years as a developer, and most of 40 years working in financial institutions, and makes no sense to me.  I do know not all changes are planned - sometimes bugs are found and fixed, and the change notes told us about fixes, level of progress and more.  I suggest we find more ways to reach the bosses behind this, including seeing if they are in FB and other sites.  As many people as possible.

updates

so updates to the consumers has been discontinued, but someone knows what the updates are. Why can't we get any information from an employee about whether TurboTax is ready to use to file or not?  Some of us depend on the information.

updates

The impression I get from higher in this thread is that when you want to file (not print), they'll see if you use any form that needs fixing and then tell you to update. Lots of problems with that approach. I was in the Computer industry for about 40 years and would NEVER do this to clients.

ablevy

updates

i agree with the posts in this thread.  It is ridiculous to be providing a crucial piece of software without documenting updates.  Essentially TT has become a black box with no way of knowing when it is safe to submit taxes.  I submit my taxes by mail because I don't trust TT security/management .  This just brings the trust level down to where I will be using another tax program next year.

updates

This is still an issue with the 3/20/2020 update and I certainly agree with others here that you should at least give us a clue of what's changed or been updated.   Clicking the link on the update window simply hits a dead end on the TT website!   

2020-03-20 (1).png2020-03-20.png

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

updates

Release notes for updates have been discontinued.  If there are any updates that affect your return, you will be notified via email.

@spl518 Can you explain what update issues you are experiencing?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

updates

That is totally irresponsible IMO and many other customers in this conversation!    And I dont actually buy this claim that Turbotax is going to notify me if there's been an update to forms or the program that effects my return after it has been filed.   I don't believe this is even possible in some cases.  For example,  what if my email and address has changed?  Please provide this feedback to upper management.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

updates

@spl518  I understand your frustration.  You can submit feedback to TurboTax via the following contact form:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

updates

You are an employee of Intuit/Turbotax correct?  I don't understand why you would not take the time to provide the feedback.     That's super disappointing!     And one more thing while I'm here.   Why put a link for "More details"  in the update window (see screenshot #1 in my original post)  if it's not going to a page on your website with more details (i.e. a history of the changes like any other commercial software in the world)?   When you click on the link, it's just a dead end/page not found error (screen shot #2) .   That's just ridiculous!  

updates

To the TT rep, and any other TT reps viewing this.  Some of us have probably been using some form of TT from before you were even born.  Many of us have a great deal of knowledge of Windows and personal and small business income taxes.  We tend to care that the returns we file are accurate.  It's important that we know what changes have occurred, what they affected, what are you waiting for, what forms are ready or have been updated.  I'm guessing that many of us have advanced degrees like MBA's or PHD's.  We do not like being treated like fools.  I'm also a former software developer for financial institutions, and I can assure you we maintained full lists of pending and accomplished changes, want lists, and so on.  I'm sure Intuit does so as well - if not, we're all in trouble.  Up until months ago, a sanitized list was available online and when you downloaded updates, and there is no VALID reason that the updates have been discontinued.

updates

You have NO idea what forms I used for a return (unless perhaps I file it through your eFile). What if I do a return for my mother and print it for her. There is no way you know what forms I'm using!

updates

I maintain my opinion as a long time user - and taxpayer, that e delivery, even if it costs a bit, is a far safer and better way to file, also more reliable, and very hard to justify.  In NY, it is mostly banned for good reason.  Now mind you I do not excuse Intuit for not telling us about outstanding problems and newly released and pending fixes.  

tsif
Level 2

updates

If you cared, you'd also read the entire thread and you'd see that not only is this unacceptable, its also sad that you still have a link going to no-where....that alone makes Turbo Tax look bad.

You have NO way of knowing who is affected by an update even if they filed on through you.  There is also no obligation to file with the software/through you.   I pay for the high end package because it applies to me. Since I've paid for it, I use it to help elderly relatives/associates at church.  Paying $29-$39 to file a state is not a good use of their limited resources.  (No matter how easy it is).  Tell someone whose 70 they have to pay to get their low dollar refund.

updates

There are several Turbo Tax Deluxe features that Intuit has apparently decided to let stay "broken".  The ability for customers to see the details on each software update was very helpful but no longer works even though the links remain in the program.  While I can appreciate the difficulty of keeping the forms and calculations updated, the details gave customers the ability to review each update to assess whether it impacted their own return.  As of 3/25/20, I am still dealing with a faulty form 8615 that keeps getting rejected due to a form calculation error.  Turbo Tax reports that the form was corrected 3/19/20 but the return continues to get rejected.  As I wait for more updates, I currently have no way to know if the update was associated with this form so I have to repeatably e-file and get rejected to find out.

updates

Are you using the 'script' or are you manually filling in the form?  I'd be doing the latter under the circumstances.  Though that doesn't excuse their not telling us what the updates are.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies