Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Need to enter the taxes I already paid during the time of extension

1 Reply
Level 15

Need to enter the taxes I already paid during the time of extension

If you filed the extension from within TurboTax, the amount of your payment should be automatically entered in your tax return. It should be on Form 1040 line 70, or included in the total on Form 1040A line 46 or Form 1040EZ line 9, with the amount of the payment shown to the left of the total on that line. If the payment is not automatically entered, you will have to enter it yourself.

Here's how to enter the amount you paid with the extension into TurboTax.

  • Click the Federal Taxes tab. (In TurboTax Home & Business click the Personal tab.)
  • Click Deductions & Credits.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2015 Deductions & Credits," scroll down to the section "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "Other Income Taxes."
  • Under the heading "Payments with Extension," click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "Payment with 2015 federal extension."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies